[PyQt] Reopening QT Window - Segfault

Michka Popoff michkapopoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:18:20 BST 2011

2011/4/26 Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj at urpla.net>

> Michka,
>
> please keep the ML CCed at least. If somebody is searching for a similar
> issue, he might be interested in the follow-ups.

My bad, I normally do. I just clicked on the wrong button while replying.
Sorry.

> On Tuesday 26 April 2011, 11:58:03 Michka Popoff wrote:
> > > It's a well known limitation of PyQt (and probably of Qt, too).
> > > Having it working for a single arch is pure luck.
> >
> > Ok, I thought that : if it works on OS X, why not on Ubuntu ?
>
> Because the kept state and the states' behavior below QApplication is
> very different between different archs.
>
> More importantly, don't rely on it.

Okay didn't know.

> > Start it in an extra process is using a thread ? Don't know if this
> > is the solution.
>
> No, threading is something different. Just start is as another process,
> e.g. with subprocess.Popen.

OMG. This is exactly what I needed. I was searching for a solution since 2
months now. Didn't know about subprocess ... I was looking in the wrong
direction (threading, using another GUI toolkit, ...).

It's the best way to do what I want, making a "plugin" upon an existing app.
No more conflicts between toolkits. I can pass the data I wish to display
through a file, serialized with pickle (I found some tutorials on the web,
after 1 hour I was able to have everything up and running).

So thank you very much !!

Michka