[PyQt] Please tell me if I have this straight...

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 19:27:51 BST 2011

I present a document to a user in a QPlainTextEdit widget. The widget
nicely handles most editing functions, but there is a unique operation
I want to provide. When the user selects Edit > BLEEP, the app is
supposed to BLEEP the document.

BLEEPing is not something Qt does, I have to implement BLEEP with
native Python code. So when the user says BLEEP it, I must:

1. Use QPlainTextEdit toPlainText() to get the document text as a QString

2. Use QString toUTF8() to get Utf-8 text that Python can use

3. Apply my Python logic to BLEEP the text

4. Use QString fromUtf8() to return to a QString

5. Use QPlainTextEdit fromPlainText() to replace the document with the
BLEEPed contents.

Does this sound right?

Can PyQt do #2 and #4 automagically?

And what are the performance implications when a document might have
one or two megabytes of text?

Thanks for any insights,

Dave C.