[PyQt] What is difference between "partial" and "lambda" in connect slot?

bluekyu bluekyu.dev at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 14:11:02 BST 2011

Hello. I have a question about "partial" and "lambda" in connect slot.

I learned that "partial" and "lambda" can have arguments in connect slot.
So, I usually use lambda function, however, it does not work well in
some code.

My example code:
from PyQt4.QtCore import *
from PyQt4.QtGui import *
import sys
from functools import partial

app = QApplication(sys.argv)
form = QDialog()
layout = QVBoxLayout()

label = QLabel("Test")
layout.addWidget(label)

stringList = ["ABC", "123", "XYZ", "789"]
for string in stringList:
     button = QPushButton(string)
     layout.addWidget(button)
     form.connect(button, SIGNAL("clicked()"),
#                    lambda: label.setText(string))    # Problem
                     partial(label.setText, string))

form.setLayout(layout)
form.show()
app.exec_()

I expected that each button set label text as each string, but all
button set label text as "789".
Instead, partial function works very well.

What is difference between "partial" and "lambda"?