[PyQt] Version matching: Qt and PyQt

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Dec 2 14:45:02 GMT 2011

[Although already answered by Phil, this one errously made it to James
only..]

Am Friday 02 December 2011 03:13:52 schrieb James Polk:
> Is there a online guide anywhere to match a version of Qt with it's
> corresponding
>
> version of PyQt ?
>
> For example,...on Windows, in order to work with Maya2011, I had to
install
> Qt 4.5.3 and use PyQt 4.7.3  (and sip too)

This is a constraint induced by Maya then.

> Is there a lookup table somewhere where these versions are matched up?
> Not only Windows, but OSX, and Linux too..?
>
> My current dilemma is finding the right version combo for OSX Lion
(10.7.2
> 64bit)

Well, in theory, all versions of PyQt4 should work with all versions of
Qt4.

If you depend on a Qt feature that appeared in a certain version, this
feature
is available only, if PyQt4 is adapted to that feature and is compiled
against a Qt version containing that feature. This is possible due to
sips
timeline feature and a complex version dependency scheme.

In practise, you determine the lowest Qt version that you need to
support, and
build the newest sip/PyQt4 against it. Keep in mind, that sip/PyQt4
depends
on the particular Python revision, it is build with. I cannot say
anything
about Mayas PyQt bindings, though.

Hth,
Pete