[PyQt] Odd key press behavior in PyQt app

Umang Varma umang.me at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 02:42:05 GMT 2011

Hi,

I would like some help in fixing a bug in my application. The
application is a game that reads user input using keyPressEvent to solve
a word game.

Occasionally, a very strange behavior occurs. When the user hits the 'g'
or the 'h' keys, the Alt+G or Alt+H key press behavior is observed (my
menu captions are &Game and &Help). This makes it impossible to "play"
the letters "g" and "h" should they exist on one of the anagrams.
However, this happens very rarely and usually 'g' and 'h' key presses
are accepted, which makes me believe that this is not a bug in my code.

Does anyone know what might be causing it and whether there is anything
I can do to fix this in my code? If not, is this a bug in Qt/PyQt and
has it already been reported?

Thanks,

Umang

PS: The bug I'm trying to fix is https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/718462