[PyQt] key capture

John Fabiani johnf at jfcomputer.com
Tue Jan 25 15:43:05 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 07:19:17 am Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:12:30 -0800, John Fabiani <johnf at jfcomputer.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > newbie question - is it possible to capture the 'F4' using SIGNAL for a
> > QLineEdit.  If so how?  Also where can I find a list of the available
> > signals
> > (events)?
>
> Signals are not events.
>
> If you can use a QLineEdit sub-class then reimplement keyPressEvent(),
> otherwise install an event filter.
>
> Phil

Thanks for the quick response.  Reading the book "Rapid GUI programming with
Python and QT"  in the section "Signals and Slots" (page 127) the author
starts the section by stating:
"Every GUI library provides the details of events that take place ..."

So I gathered that SIGNALS were events.   Apparently, I did not understand
completely.  Could you take a little more time and explain why they are not.
There is more to read - chapters 10 and 11 are suppose to get deeper into the
SIGNALS and SLOTS.

Still would like to know where I can see a list of SIGNALS?

Johnf