[PyQt] Symbol not found in QtGui.so 32-bit build on OSX 10.6.8

Glenn Ramsey gr at componic.co.nz
Wed Jul 6 01:12:07 BST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to get a 32 bit build of PyQt because the app I am developing
depends on some 32 bit Python extension modules.

The following error happens when loading QtGui.so

 >>> from PyQt4.QtCore import *
 >>> from PyQt4.QtGui import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError:
dlopen(/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PyQt4/QtGui.so,
2): Symbol not found: __ZN13QPyTextObject16staticMetaObjectE
   Referenced from:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PyQt4/QtGui.so
   Expected in: flat namespace
  in
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PyQt4/QtGui.so

This is using a 32 bit build of MacPorts Python (2.6.6) . I have built and
installed Qt 4.7.2, SIP 4.12.3 and PyQt 4.8.4 as the 32 bit versions and
confirmed that the relevant files are 32 bit using the file command.

This thread
<http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2010-May/026681.html>
describes the same issue with a 64 bit build that appears to have been due to a
version mismatch, which was resolved by cleaning and rebuilding everything. I
have done this, making sure that it is all 32 bit, but I still get the error.

Advice about how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn