[PyQt] A dire warning message

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Fri Jul 8 14:52:17 BST 2011

On 08/07/11 10:22, Raoul Snyman wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 19:00:52 +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:
>> I think it is time to give it rest, unless someone can suggest antother
>> lead.
>> The fun of it begins to feel like bashing one's head against a wall.
>> After all I can live with the "dire warning" message.
>
> I don't know why this thread has carried on so long. It has nothing to do
> with PyQt4, and everything to do with KDE 4 - *all* of my KDE apps issue
> that warning. Have you seen the number of warnings Kate spawns?

well, the point is that pyqt is *not* a kde app - why should users see
*kde* warnings when running non-kde apps?

> In addition to that, it's a warning, not an error. Warnings are
> non-crucial errors which will not affect how an application runs.
> Developers should strive to have code that issues no warnings, but as
> end-users we should not worry about warnings.

but to users it can look like a bug if they are running a non-kde app.

i re-installed the libkde.so plugin and ran this pure pyqt test script:

######

import sys

from PyQt4.QtGui import QApplication, QFileDialog, QPushButton

class Window(QPushButton):
     def __init__(self):
         QPushButton.__init__(self, 'Open')
         self.clicked.connect(self.open)

     def open(self):
         dialog = QFileDialog(self, "Open File", '.', "Files (*.*)")
         dialog.exec_()

if __name__ == '__main__':
     app = QApplication(sys.argv)
     win = Window()
     win.show()
     sys.exit(app.exec_())

######

sure enough, when i click the button, a *kde* file dialog appears and i
see the "dire warning".

however, when i set the following option:

     dialog.setOption(QFileDialog.DontUseNativeDialog)

a *qt* file dialog appears and there is no "dire warning".

this using pyqt 4.8.4, qt 4.7.3, and kde-4.8.5 on archlinux.

(as a further note: with non-kde apps, the kde file dialog can be
annoyingly slow to open compared with the qt one - which is another
reason why i prefer to remove this plugin on my system).