[PyQt] Qt Contributors Summit

Attila Csipa pyqt at csipa.in.rs
Thu Jun 9 07:35:19 BST 2011

On Thursday 09 June 2011 00:37:38 you wrote:
> implementation, ie. QML. What I certainly want is a public C++ API to the
> underlying code that QML sits on top of so that alternative declarative
> solutions can be implemented.

Wouldn't that be the QtDeclarative module ? I believe the issue with a lower
level access is that if a public API is provided, it must be supported. The
compatibility promise is currently on the QML level - and even there, QML
moves so quickly that you have explicit versioning to avoid incompatibilities.
A good example is the current move from QML1 to QML2 - while the QML syntax in
pretty much the same, the underlying C++ code got a massive overhaul. If you
used the fact that it's on top of QGraphicsView, you could be in trouble, as
scenegraph is a very different beast.

Best regards,
Attila Csipa