[PyQt] Comppiling QScintilla with python 3.2

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Wed Jun 15 02:04:32 BST 2011

After  long trepidation, I started moving my python scripts from python 2.x to
python 3.2.

Pleasant surprise - sip-4.12.3 and PyQt-x11-gpl-4.8.4 compiled without
problems!

Python 3.2 IDLE does not work well with this version of PyQt. Anyway, eric 5.x
would be better, so it is necessary to install python 3 version of QScintilla.
Downloaded QScintilla-gpl-2.5.1.tar.gz, expanded the tar ball and attempted to
compile:

Changed the current dir to QScintilla-gpl-2.5.1/Python/ and tried the first
step:

$ python3.2 configure.py

It immediately responded with the message:

"Qsci/qsciglobal.h could not be found in /usr/include/qt4.  If QScintilla is
installed then use the -n argument to explicitly specify the correct
directory."

I am using a freshly installed kubuntu 11.04 "natty" OS and had a python 2.x
version of QScintilla installed from ubuntu binaries.  I thought that the
message may simply be because of the installed binaries, so "completely
removed" the installed QScintilla with the aid of "synaptic" program and tried
to repeat the first step of compilation.  It  failed again with an identical
message.  I suspect I am doing  someting wrong, but what?

So where do I go from here?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

OldAl.