[PyQt] Bug report: multiple QApplication instances cause a segfault

David Townshend aquavitae69 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:04:25 BST 2011

Hi

I'm not sure of the appropriate place to file a PyQt bug report, so I hope
its ok to send it to this mailing list.

The problem is that creating (and quitting) multiple QApplications in
succession causes a segfault.  This situation tends to occur in unit tests,
particularly in testing subclasses of QApplication.

The following snippet illustrates the problem:

>>> from PyQt4 import QtGui
>>> app = QtGui.QApplication([])
>>> app.quit()
>>> app = QtGui.QApplication([])
>>> app.quit()
>>> app = QtGui.QApplication([])
Segmentation fault

Here is my python info:
Python 3.2 (r32:88445, Apr 15 2011, 11:09:05)
[GCC 4.5.2 20110127 (prerelease)] on linux2

I'm using PyQt 4.8.4 on Arch Linux.  I have tried it on Windows XP, but the
segfault does not occur there.  I haven't tried other linux distributions.

David