[PyQt] Designer issues, WYS-is not-WYG

James Polk jpolk5001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 00:08:38 BST 2011

I like Designer and have been using it more and more...
but I've been noticing that many times what you see in the Designer window
ends up not matching when you run your program later.

For example, small offsets in X and Y...look good in Designer, but don't end
up in the same place in the program.  Many times, it's not that consequential,
but in a more complex UI, with very precise positioning, this can be very
frustrating.

One example,...create a MainWindow, drop a horizontal slider into it,
and make it's height 60, so you get a kinda' tall "main marker".
Save it as a .ui file,...load it into your program, and the tall marker is
now short.    ( I dynamically load my UI's with uic.loadUiType(), but the
same phenomena happens either way.)  Using Designer's "preview"
is consistent with what's in Designer, but something is lost in translation
later when it goes into the program.

I often get positon offset weirdness using QFrames, QGroupBoxes,etc...
They look good in Designer, then "off" in main program, so I have to make them
look "off" in Designer, so they'll end up in the right place when they're used.

I'm using Python 2.6.6, Qt 4.5.3, and PyQt4

Does anybody else experience this? Does anybody know what causes it,
and is there a workaround?

Thanks,
-Jim