[PyQt] SIP problem with compiled functions (or anything that is not a function or method)

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sun May 15 12:31:56 BST 2011

http://kayhayen24x7.homelinux.org/blog/nuitka-a-python-compiler/what-is-nuitka/

> Now this compiler is very compatible to CPython and so I was surprised
> to discover that a simple example of overloading of methods doesn't work

> at all:
>
> It's a shame my Python-Qt skills are so low. The example is:
>
> class TestPage(QtWebKit.QWebPage):
>      def __init__( self ):
>          QtWebKit.QWebPage.__init__( self )
>
>      def userAgentForUrl(self, url):
>          print "hit", url
>
>      # userAgentForUrl = 1
>      # userAgentForUrl = repr
>
> When this one is used, under CPython it works, when the class is created

> by Nuitka with a compiled function "userAgentForUrl", then it works if
> it's called by Python code, but not when called from within PyQt.
>
> I dug through it, and this is what I found out:
>
> The class that uses the TestPage instance is a PyQt class as well.
>
> The type(view.__class_) is a "PyQt4.QtCore.pyqtWrapperType" which I
> found the implementation for in the python-qt4 source, but it's not
> doing too specific things, that's what sip does apparently:
>
> Look at ./qpy/QtCore/qpycore_types.cpp this one is very suspicious:
>
> // Create a dynamic meta-object for a Python type by introspecting its
> // attributes.  Note that it leaks if the type is deleted.
> static int create_dynamic_metaobject(pyqtWrapperType *pyqt_wt)
>
> It does very early on a call to:
>
>      PyObject *self = sipWrapperType_Type->tp_call(type, args, kwds);

No it doesn't - at least not in current versions.

> Looking at the sip source code, I couldn't clearly identifiy the tp_call

> implementation, but I saw that it does PyMethod_Check and then
> PyFunction_Check, which should be it.
>
> My compiled functions, do not pass that test. Nor do builtin functions,
> or even integers. The code in question, then creates a PyMethod_New on
> the function or object, emulating the behaviour, of what calling a
> tp_descr_get on the object will already do.
>
> The comment in the file says:
>
> /*
> * Check any reimplementation is Python code and is not the wrapped
> * C++ method.
> */
>
> Well, it doesn't do the positive test, if something is already wrapped,
> but instead does a limited known-type check. Can you help and point me
> to how to detect the wrapped C++ method instead. I would then change the

> logic and call tp_descr_get which will give compiled method objects with

> Nuitka.

I've changed it so that any unrecognised object is returned as is. This
introduces a potential incompatibility when using mixins, but any code that
is affected is likely to be either buggy or badly written.