[PyQt] Weird problem with time change and resources

Giuseppe Corbelli giuseppe.corbelli at copanitalia.com
Fri Apr 6 10:04:22 BST 2012

A couple of weeks ago time here in Italy was changed from the Legal to the
Solar timetable (or reverse, I never remember :-). Anyway this means that on a
certain day the system wakes up and moves the clock 1 hour before.

I have a fairly complex PyQT GUI app with C++ extension modules that uses PyQT
resources. The very day the hour shifted the program stopped working. When I
start it up I get a 100% CPU and nothing is displayed or even goes to the
logs, so it seems that something goes into an endless loop while importing the
resources. Note that all the bytecode is already available, so no "compile"
step should be done.

My setup is:
Windows XP SP3
Python2.6.6.18
Qt4.7.4
PyQt4.8.5

Interesting notes:
- On Linux it does not happen
- On Windows 7 does not SEEM to happen (not sure, I just tested on a VM)

By either moving the clock back to the old timetable or rebuilding all the
resources the problem is solved.
Of course just moving the clock by hand does not reproduce the problem :-)

Hope you have some ideas...

--
            Giuseppe Corbelli
WASP Software Engineer, Copan Italia S.p.A
E-mail: giuseppe.corbelli at copanitalia.com