[PyQt] Cannot 'configure' PyQt4.9 before build on Linuxmint

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Apr 25 09:53:24 BST 2012

Dear Brian,

Am Tuesday 24 April 2012 19:44:17 schrieb Brian Kelley:
> I got hit by this as well.  Apparently having the correct sip in your path
> may not be enough.  I have attached a script that properly builds sip+qt
> assuming you have downloaded the current tarballs.  It also has the
> command that fails (SLED10-64/Ubuntu10-64) so Phil can take a look at it.
>
> Essentially:
>
> I had to specifically tell PyQt's configure where the sip include file
> (include/sip.h) was.
>
> > sip -V
>
> 4.13.2
>
> > which sip
>
> .../sip-4.13.2/bin/sip
>
> > python configure.py \
>
>   -q .../Trolltech/Qt-4.8.0/bin/qmake \
>    -e .../sip-4.13.2/include \
>    -v .../sip-4.13.2/share/sip
>

> Note that "-e" and "-v" are the same flags as how you configured sip which
> is how I figured this out in the first place (purely by serendipity, I
> copied the wrong configure flags in a shell by accident)
>
> I kind of think this might be a bug in the PyQt configure, but then I know
> all about configuration hell so I have some sympathy ( I had to patch Qt
> 4.8 to properly build WebKit on SLED10-64 as well ).  I don't have
> sympathy for the amount of time it took me to figure this out though, so
> hopefully this will help future coders. :)

You could have spared a significant amount of your time by simply building sip
and friends in openSUSEs build service. That typically results in properly
installable packages, and a new target (distribution) is mostly a matter of a
few clicks. There are plenty of packages/examples in BS, that could serve as
the rpm spec template (including mine found here:
	https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Afrispete
 	http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/frispete:/
).

Pete