[PyQt] Disturbing evidence of garbage collection error

Andrew Suffield asuffield at suffields.me.uk
Sat Apr 28 12:14:14 BST 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 01:05:37PM +0200, Erik Janssens wrote:
> which version of PyQt are you using ?
>
> When in older versions (I think something like 2 releases ago),
> the garbage collection kicks in in a thread and it deletes
> a QObject from another thread, this object was deleted
> immediately, while in recent versions those are deleted later
> on in the event loop of the thread to which they belong.

This is on 4.9.1, but that's a different sort of bug. This is
happening while query.prepare is executing - there's no way that query
should be considered garbage and get collected at this point. The bug
is not that it's being collecting improperly, but rather that it's
being collected at all while still in use.