[PyQt] dip: question about changing UI elements based on task

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri Jul 27 22:14:40 BST 2012

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:16:58 -0400, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm developing an application that has to support various loosely
> coupled tasks. For example, take an IDE where you switch between code
> editing and UI design tasks. These two tasks would each contribute
> their own central window, dock windows, menu items, and tools bars to
> the main window. Each task would probably be a plugin, but only one
> task would be active (and its ui elements visible) at a time.

I don't really understand what you mean by the ui elements being visible
when the task is active. The central window, dock windows, menu items? If
you really want them invisible then using two different main windows for
the tasks may be the easiest solution.

> Is it possible for dip to compose the main window using elements
> contributed by such "tasks"? Any advise that could get me started in
> the right direction?

If you want a single main window to contain the elements of the the two
tasks (or tools to use the dip terminology) and to have all the different
elements enabled or not according to the currently active tool - then
that's what a dip shell does. The shell examples cover this - and you could
look at the current metasip code for a real example (although metasip is
still being migrated to being a fully fledged dip application).

I'm not sure I've understood the question properly...