[PyQt] New vs new signals - signatures

John Floyd jfloyd at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 29 08:22:51 BST 2012

The question relates to the signatures used to connect overloaded signals.

What do you use for signature in the new signals.  I have tried using the same
arguments that are specified in the old method but does not work.

Eg an example from pyqwt

old method

	self.picker.connect(self.picker, SIGNAL('selected(const QwtPolygon&)'),
      self.slotter)

have tried
	self.picker.selected[QwtPolygon].connect(self.slotter)
and
	self.picker.selected['QwtPolygon'].connect(self.slotter)
with no success.

the user docs does suggest "A type is either a Python type object or a string
that is the name of a C++ type"

In this regard I have notices that in the code generated from the sip files,
the pyqt4QtSignal defintion is

	selected(QwtPolygon)

This is particularly confusing where for mappedtypes from a template where the
c++ variable is QArray<QwtDoublePoint> which is in the c++ signature whilst
the python 'equivalent' is QwtQArrayQwtDoublePoint.

Clarification would be very useful.  At the moment I am not sure if there is a
coding problem (mine or at the sip end) or just my ignorance.

Cheers
John