[PyQt] QThread not forcibly terminating as expected

Brian Knudson briank at pipelinefx.com
Mon Mar 5 21:35:02 GMT 2012

On Mar 3, 2012, at 4:00 AM, pyqt-request at riverbankcomputing.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 10:17:39 +0100
> From: Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>
> To: pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com
> Subject: Re: [PyQt] QThread not forcibly terminating as expected
>
> On 02.03.12 19:59:50, Brian Knudson wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>  Apologies for the lengthy mail.  The last paragraph is the important one, but everything else helps explain.
>>
>>  I'm writing a PyQt interface for a networking system (3rd party application) via its API.  The 3rd party API calls don't have a configurable timeout.  So that my interface doesn't block, I've made those API calls run in a QThread.  I've attached a timer to the thread & after a certain period of time (10 seconds in this case), I make the thread terminate itself using the very forceful terminate() function (I would happily use another if it would accomplish my goal of stopping execution NOW).  I expect this would kill the API call, but it doesn't seem to.  This happens when the API thinks a host is up, when, in fact, it is not, so it's locked waiting for socket connection/communication, but gets none - until it eventually times itself out some 60 seconds later.
>
> Look at the QThread documentation for terminate(). One almost never
> wants to call that function. But it clearly documents that the thread
> might or might not terminate immediately.
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qthread.html#terminate

I assumed too much, re: "might not terminate immediately".  I took this to mean, "maybe not this instant, but soon," when it appears to mean, "maybe not ever," or better yet, "maybe not as you expect, regardless of timing"

>>  I have the thread set to update the UI upon completion.  When my app gets into this state, the UI widget this thread is trying to update is no longer updatable.  The app is still responsive & other widgets will happily update themselves, but this one is locked until the thread finally ends.. at which point it can be updated again, so long as the API returns valid data.
>
> Can you show some sample code for this, I don't quite understand what
> you mean with "its not updatable" or "its locked"?

As is often the case, while making my example, I found the solution to one of my problems...  I'm using only one thread for this widget, so while it's busy, the widget can't be updated.  Using multiple threads will fix this - to a degree.  Please read on.

>> I wouldn't much mind the lack of expected termination if it didn't lock up the widget, but it seems to (which is also surprising).  At the end of the day, that's the important bit.  Terminating the thread is only a way to get the widget to be responsive again sooner.
>
> Can you leave out the network-system from your app, replace it with some
> kind of busy-loop, i.e.
>
> while(True):
>  time.sleep(.5)
>
> Does that still lock up the widget until you terminate the thread? If so
> please post a minimal example.

I've made a small example: http://churchofbk.com/misc/qthread_example.py.

In this example, I've replicated the way I'm doing things in my application so it may not be the ideal way of doing things for this small of an example, but it works.  My question is still related to the fact that threads don't seem to stop executing when I tell them to.

If you run this app, you'll get a dialog with 3 buttons & a text label.  Clicking the buttons will update the text label with some unique string for each button... the string comes from a simulated API call that runs in a thread.  For the outside buttons (button 1 & 3), the text should update instantly, but the center button has a time.sleep(5) before the API return.  All threads have a timeout of 2 seconds.  I expect, then, that button 2 (the center button) will never do anything, as it should timeout before it finishes.  Being that it calls quit (or exit or terminate) before it emits the signal at the end of "run", I expect that the emit will never happen... but it does after the sleep period of 5 seconds.  I expect (maybe incorrectly), that if I click button 1, 2, then 3, quickly in order, I would see the label update for button 1, not for 2, then update for 3 - so at the end, I see button 3's text; but what actually happens is that button 1 updates, button 3 updates, then eventually, button 2 updates - so when everything settles, I'm seeing the result of button 2, even though button 3 was the last button I pressed.

Do I need to keep track of timeout status in the run myself?  In other words, should I be setting some var in __terminator(), then checking the value of that var in run() prior to emitting the signal?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this,
-Brian