[PyQt] Stick a frameless window to the desktop

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun May 13 22:48:00 BST 2012

On Sat, 12 May 2012 20:03:43 +0530, Bhuvan Krishna wrote:

> Hope you all know how google desktop used to stick to the desktop. even
> when the user opens a new window the window will resize itself keeping
> the google desktop on the right intact not going behind the newly opened
> window. I am working on a similar right widget bar. I achieved
> frame-less window ( which was easy) but I don't know how to stick the
> window onto the desktop and let the other windows that open resize
> according to this window. the width of this window is 300 pixels and it
> will take the complete height of the desktop. I also used
> "TranslucentBackground" which gave me nice transparency but the edges
> don't fill. I am giving a link to the image file of the window.

I think the functionality you want is provided by the window system, not Qt.
It sounds like you want to create something with the properties of a panel or
dock, even if it will be used for a different purpose.

KDE, for example, used to expose this aspect of window management via its
API. If you are using only X11 platforms, you might also be able to use a
Python wrapper around Xlib to give your widget the correct properties.

David