[PyQt] PyQt4 against Qt5 preview builds available for Ubuntu Raring

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Apr 17 10:21:33 BST 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:01:32 +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have finally managed to correctly patch configure-ng.py to have all
> the debian configury changes as well as to correctly find multi-arch
> paths on Debian/Ubuntu systems and successfully compile pyqt4
> 227b3c0affb4 snapshot against Qt5 (Raring) with all modules that are
> available for Qt5.
>
> My packaging branch is here:
> lp:~xnox/ubuntu/raring/python-qt4/qt5
>
> And the binary packages are available from my PPA:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/+archive/scratch/+packages
>
> I am hoping to land thin into ubuntu proper early next cycle (approx.
> late may  / early june).
>
> I have two questions:
>
> * What is upstream preference for a package name?

I don't care.

> - given that everything will not switch to qt5 overnight we need to
> keep python-qt4 compiled against qt4, yet we want to start providing
> qt5 variant. Will pyqt5 be source incompatible with python-qt4-qt5?

Yes. PyQt5 should be considered a completely different package to PyQt4.
They will be able to be installed side-by-side.

> * How to handle co-installing qt4 & qt5 variants of pyqt?
> Given that currently pyqt4 uses PyQt4 name-space regardless if it's
> compiled against qt4 or qt5.

A good question that doesn't have a good answer.

The Qt4 and Qt5 variants of PyQt4 are incompatible and cannot be installed
at the same time for the same Python interpreter.