[PyQt] how to install Pyqt4 on OS X ?

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Tue Apr 23 22:33:31 BST 2013

> > Refer to the previous thread about 4.10.1, phil said he was going to fix it soon but 4.10 worked fine for me.

ahh... Let me clear something up that I was a bit confused about.

This also applies to the thread I started, "[PyQt] PyQt v4.10.1 install Error on Mac OS X"

Actually PyQt4 v4.10.1 *does* successfully install on the mac if you use the 'configure.py' (I just did it) and not the new 'configure-ng.py' (which is temporarily broke and will be fixed soon as per Phil's statement in previous thread!).

After re-reading the doc's I see the following statements:

"configure.py is the original configuration script that uses the build system of SIP v4 (i.e. the sip.sipconfig module)."
"It will be supported for the life of PyQt4."
"configure-ng.py is ... is the basis of PyQt5’s configuration script"

So configure-ng.py is the current migration path towards a PyQt5! and your perfectly good to go ahead and use the current PyQt-mac-gpl-4.10.1.tar.gz but use the 'configure.py' script!

I hope that clears it up!

James