[PyQt] Next PyQt5 and SIP Releases

John Donovan john at geospark.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 13:54:13 BST 2013

On 19 August 2013 13:12, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:47:02 +0100, John Donovan <john at geospark.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Raspberry Pi using the Qt5 packages from http://twolife.be/raspbian/
>> and PyQt-gpl-5.0.1-snapshot-7e6f3768c519
>>
>> Running configure with:
>> python3 configure.py --verbose --confirm-license --enable=QtCore
>> --enable=QtGui --enable=QtOpenGL --enable=QtQml --enable=QtQuick
>> --enable=QtDBus
>>
>> Works, but it does report:
>> The qmlscene plugin was disabled because the Python library couldn't be
>> found.
>>
>> It may be that I have missed a module from the Qt5 repo.
>
> If you look at generate_plugin_makefile() in configure.py you might be
> able to work out what the problem is.

It seems that the two glob searches in generate_plugin_makefile()
(line 1180) look for libpython like this:
/usr/lib/libpython3.3*

Whereas on the Pi, libpython lives here:
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/

You could use ducfg['LIBPC'] and strip the 'pkgconfig' from the end,
which points to the right place on my main machine as well as the Pi,
but I'm no expert. Alternatively, on the Pi there's a 'MULTIARCH' key
which just has 'arm-linux-gnueabihf' in it, whereas that key doesn't
exist on my main machine.

>> make works fine and everything seems to compile, but when I try to
>> import QtQml (or QtQuick):
>> from PyQt5 import QtQml
>>
>> I get:
>> ImportError: /usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/PyQt5/QtQml.so:
>> undefined symbol: _ZN11QQmlPrivate10createIntoI13QPyQmlObject5EEvPv
>
> That's odd...
>
> Is there a commonly accepted way of building Qt5 on the Pi?

It seems most people recommend the twolife repo to avoid the hassle of
cross-compilation; it's kept up-to-date and seems complete. I've not
tried compiling it from scratch, but it may be necessary because it
does look like this is a problem with the twolife repo. I'll drop
Sebastien, the author, an email to see if he can suggest anything.

> What about Wayland vs X11?

So far I've not considered Wayland - I wanted to keep things simple.
Is it likely to be a cause of the ImportError? I could certainly try,
but it is uncharted territory for me.

-JD