[PyQt] Using SWIG to wrap application written in QT

Kenneth Miller kennethadammiller at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 21:01:43 BST 2013

ping. :)

________________________________
 From: Kenneth Miller <kennethadammiller at yahoo.com>
To: "pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com" <pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 5:25 PM
Subject: Using SWIG to wrap application written in QT

So I have this application that I'm writing that uses the Qt libraries. I want to wrap the my application and all of it's objects so that I can call it from a scripting language quickly, be it python, or ocaml or whatever. Anyway, for the last bit I've been trying to get a module compiled that will allow me to dynamically call into the classes & functions that I've defined. SWIG seems to work right, and recently I even got my own self defined class within a module from my C++ source to run, although it segfaulted and I have yet to find out exactly why.

Can this be done? I mean, I was wondering it would be more appropriate that I use SIP. One of the problems that I'm facing (I think) is that some arguments to my classes and functions are Qt objects. But I can't export those functions in my SWIG module without also writing a wrapper to the Qt objects manually (is that right?). I'm very new to SWIG, but I definitely need the speed of a scripting language for my development, because the compile cycle with Qt and C++ is slow. In addition, I'm kind of considering SIP in parallel, so I need advice as to which is more appropriate.

Can anybody advise me what the best route is in order to get what I want? SIP or SWIG?