[PyQt] Help tracking down intermittent segfault using QGraphicsItem

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:35:27 GMT 2013

>> The strangest part is that if I manually add item1 to the scene
>> (should not be needed since the child is automatically added when
>> the parent is added) I do not get the segfault.

> From the description of the OPs problem I'd guess that it is
> an object lifetime issue. Registering the child graphics item
> with the scene probably causes the scene to become the owner of that
> object in Qt which prevents the crash.

If I read you correctly, you are saying that this is probably
"fixing" the problem.

So, if I can get over not wanting the ugly warning, it's probably
safe to ship it like this.

I have gone through and everywhere I was throwing away
python references to old Qt objects I instead just hold on to
the old one, and that has reduced the chance of a segfault
significantly, but it still happens occasionally. So I'm still
searching for objects that are getting released too early.

Manually adding that one object to the scene seems to
fix it completely...

Thanks for your help!