[PyQt] Problem with Sip for Py3 on Debian/Ubuntu

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 15:46:35 BST 2013

I'm trying to build PyQt5 for Py3 on Kubuntu Raring. However I got the
error that Sip was not found:

This is the GPL version of PyQt 5.0 (licensed under the GNU General Public
License) for Python 3.3.1 on linux.
Found the license file pyqt-gpl.sip.
Error: Make sure you have a working sip on your PATH or use the --sip argument
to explicitly specify a working sip.

Then I went and installed the python3-sip-dev package which is
supposed to "contains the code generator tool and the development
headers needed to develop Python 3 bindings with sip" (from the
package description) but even then I get the same error.

Comparing the Python2 Sip package filelist:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/amd64/python-sip-dev/filelist with
the Python3 Sip package filelist
http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/amd64/python3-sip-dev/filelist, I
note that there is a /usr/bin/sip in the python-sip-dev package but no
similar file in the python3-sip-dev package. Is this then a packaging
error and should I report it as such? (Even the upstream Debian Sid
packages have the same situation.) Or is Sip the same for both Py2 and
Py3 in which case I should install python-sip-dev even for Py3?

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा