[PyQt] Problem with Sip for Py3 on Debian/Ubuntu

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 18:46:08 BST 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Yes, /usr/bin/sip is in python-sip-dev package. Maybe it will make
> sense to move it into a separate package, but I don't see much need in
> that.

Well somehow I don't feel comfortable having to install a Py2 package
to get functionality required for Py3 and apart from whatever Py2 is
inbuilt into my Raring installation, I don't use Py2 for my own
projects at all.

The description of the python3-sip-dev package says that it provides
the code generator whereas this is not true currently and that is the
problem. There has to be a single package that provides the generator
-- ("python-sip-bin" perhaps?) and both the Py2 and Py3 sip-dev packs
should depend on that.

Now as I see it these packages provide: 1) the generator binary sip
common to all Py versions, 2) the sip.h file for the respective Py
versison, 3) the dh_sip? perl script per the Py version. There has to
be some meaningful dependency heirarchy here which segregates the Py2
requirements from the Py3 ones or at least merge at some package
explicitly labeled -common, just like ipython-notebook and
ipython3-notebook both depend on ipython-notebook-common.

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा