[PyQt] Installing PyQt 5 on Mac OS X (10.6.8 Snow Leopard) <- reverting to 4.8

Anzir Boodoo ab at transcience.co.uk
Sat Jun 29 02:47:23 BST 2013

William,
On 29 Jun 2013, at 01:55, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> I was going to try it myself (haven't installed Qt5 yet, no need), but for some dumb reason, Qt5 switched to a custom Qt-made installer for their binaries.  I don't trust them to not do something weird.
>
> Since the only thing I compile doesn't support Qt5 yet (and may not for a long while), I really don't have enough interest to try compiling Qt5.
>
> If you don't absolutely need Qt5, go with 4.8.  I did find one discussion topic for Qt5 saying that the binary installer for 5.0.1 did not function properly on OS X 10.6 and you needed to compile Qt5, but I didn't see anything if this was fixed in the 5.0.2 installer.

I think I came to that conclusion just before I left the office, and think I'll cut my losses...

I'm learning Qt (and PyQt) for QGIS, so it's quite comforting that Qt 5 isn't going to be needed for a while, and 4.8 will be fine for the forseeable...

Thanks for your help, and for the work you've been doing on QGIS on OS X.

--
Anzir Boodoo, PhD student
The Institute for Transport Studies, The University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT