[PyQt] Specifying Qscintilla2 Include Directories When Building with PyQt 4.10

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Thu Mar 7 14:43:56 GMT 2013

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2012-October/032049.html

>> > With the new Qscintilla2 Python/configure.py I ran into the same
>> > problem
>> > and
>> > solved it similarly.  Patch is attached.  Is this an appropriate
>>
>> approach?
>>
>> > It
>> > appears to work for both Python and Python3.
>> >
>> > Scott K
>>
>> Hmm - I'm regretting accepting the original patch. As this seems to be
>> problem created by Debian's Python build, shouldn't the solution stay
>> with
>> Debian?
>
> I could certainly carry it as a distro patch if needed, but my
preference
> is
> to push appropriate things upstream.
>
> My understanding of the situation is that Python has ~always had two
types
> of
> include directories, but that they have pointed to the same location.
> Upstream distutils will handle this for that reason (and that's also why
> can
> use sysconfig to get the other directory in my patch).  It's only an
issue
> for
> configure/build systems that don't use distutils.
>
> My assessment is that Debian/Ubuntu are taking advantage of this and
> breaking
> an assumption that has long held true.
>
> I think it's better to have the patch upstream so that people who want
> build from source using the system Python on Debian/Ubuntu can do so.
>
> If you would like, I'll dig up more specifics about this notion of there
> having
> ~always been two sorts of include directories (it was a surprise to me
too
> when I first heard about it)?

The fact that there are two directories doesn't matter because the code
only ever includes files from one of them. The fact that you have to
include a second, even though you are not explicitly including anything
from it, strikes me as a broken Python installation.