[PyQt] PyQt4 on Android?

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Wed May 1 18:59:47 BST 2013

1.5.2013 11:35, Detlev Offenbach:

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to run PyQt4 application on Android phones or tablets?
> I had the crazy idea to see eric5 work on an Android tablet (the Nexus
> 10 seems to be a reasonable candidate).
>
> Regards,
>
> Detlev
> --
>
> Detlev Offenbach
>
> detlev at die-offenbachs.de

Hi,
I've been recently working on getting Python & Qt applications running
on Android - and got it working in the end. :)
I made a guide about it - I've used PySide as I was not able to get PyQt
to build, but the rest of the guide is not PySide specific
(example project, C++ wrapper, packaging, deployment, debugging, Qt
Components, etc.) and might be useful for your endeavor :) :
http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_for_Android_guide

Then there is a follow project up by Aaron Richiger that makes all that
stuff 100x times easier (just check the README for all the handy
features it has) :) :
https://github.com/raaron/pydroid

Both in my example project and in pydroid, all libraries are in a
separate folder and independent from the rest.
So basically if you can make PyQt compile for Android, you can just
replace PySide in the libs folder and your are good to go. :)

The people from the Android-python27 project seem to have been able to
get a working PyQt build, but I was not able to recompile it after
following their instructions:
http://code.google.com/p/android-python27/source/browse/python-build-with-qt/README#23

The prepbuilt PyQt binaries should be in this archive:
http://code.google.com/p/android-python27/source/browse/python-build-with-qt/PyDroid/android/res/raw/python_27.zip

This example APK is using the PyQt libs:
http://code.google.com/p/android-python27/source/browse/python-build-with-qt/binaries/PyDroid-debug.apk

Best wishes
Martin Kolman