[PyQt] Fwd: Re: c++ app integrate PyQt

John Fabiani johnf at jfcomputer.com
Tue Oct 1 02:11:39 BST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [PyQt] c++ app integrate PyQt
Date: 	Mon, 30 Sep 2013 17:51:28 -0700
From: 	John Fabiani <johnf at jfcomputer.com>
To: 	Matt Newell <newellm at blur.com>

On 09/30/2013 05:24 PM, Matt Newell wrote:
> On Monday, September 30, 2013 04:51:24 PM John Fabiani wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have an existing Qt C++ app (Qt5.1.1).  Is it possible to integrate
>> PyQt into the project.  I'd like the PyQt to have access to some of the
>> C++ functions, C++ classes, but I want to write frames,windows, all the
>> controls in PyQt including accessing the database.  Most important I
>> want only one app loop.  I was able in get PythonQt working but realized
>> that it was a lot of work to get it to do what I want - that is to
>> create a complete sub-program written in python.
>>

>> Any hints or links will be helpful.
>>
>> Thankis in advance,
>>

>> Johnf
>
> Yes it's possible.  You have to wrap any c++ classes you want to use from
> python using sip.  Then you need to embed python in your app, or rewrite the
> main part of the application in python.
>
> You'll want to first split your app into a library so you can test your python
> bindings from a regular python script or cmd interpreter.  Start with one
> class to get your feet wet and go from there.
>
> Matt
That sounds encouraging.  But it lacks a little detail - like how does
one embed python (PyQt) into a C++ app.  The sip I sort of understand
and it is doable.  I only need a few C++ classes and that makes sense.
But I don't have a clue how or where to start on embeding PyQt.  Does
someone have an example or a link explaining the details.

Johnf