[PyQt] "making" sip-4.15.2 - how much memory does this need???

Timothy W. Grove tim_grove at sil.org
Fri Oct 11 13:38:52 BST 2013

I've downloaded the source for sip-4.15.2 and have been trying to
install in on Windows 7. Possibly not a good idea as I don't wish to
interfere with sip in my current installation of PyQt4.10.3, but another
package I'm trying to install requires sipdistutils and sipconfig, and I
can't find these. What version of sip is PyQt4.10.3 built on? I've
already read some documentation on build systems at
http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt4/build_system.html, so it may be
that I cannot install this other package in its current state anyway
(https://github.com/hmeine/qimage2ndarray).

I followed the instructions found at
http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/sip4/installation.html (mingw32-g++)
and ran the following in the Windows cmd terminal.

c:\python33\python configure.py --platform win32-g++
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make.exe

'Configure' worked fine and 'make' started out okay but eventually
failed. I tried the same from within a MSYS terminal (mintty.exe) with
the same results but this time my system complained about running out of
memory. I ran the commands again but with a memory monitor running and
saw memory usage creep up slowly until it ran out completely and then
failure came again. I've got 3Mb of RAM installed and on my 32-bit
Windows system this is all it can use. Does installing sip really
require this much memory, or does this point to a 'leak' somewhere?

Any advice welcome.

Best regards,
Tim Grove