[PyQt] PyQt5 Activating QML/JavaScript Debugger (qmljsdebugger)

David Feinberg david at rawberg.com
Mon Oct 21 16:25:46 BST 2013

I'm trying to get the qmljsdebugger functionality working for a PyQt 5.1.1 application on OSX. After taking all the steps outlined below I continue to get this error "QML Debugger: Ignoring "-qmljsdebugger=port:3030". Debugging has not been enabled." and I'm unable to connect from Qt Creator.

I've installed Qt 5.1.1 with all the options included via the OSX installer (on OSX 10.8.5) and also via Homebrew with the --developer flag. Both installs are in two separate locations.

I made sure sip was configured with the --debug flag before building PyQt5. I've tried building the latest source snapshot of PyQt 5.1.1 via:

python3 configure.py --debug

When I try to run my app from the command line I get the following error:

python3 app.py -qmljsdebugger=port:3030
"QML Debugger: Ignoring "-qmljsdebugger=port:3030". Debugging has not been enabled."

Additional steps taken:
- Also tried everything with Python 2.7.5.
- Verified my Qt5 install contains debug files and qmljsdebugger works correctly for a C++ QML/JS app.

cross posting this here and on stack overflow
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19470884/pyqt5-activating-qml-javascript-debugger-qmljsdebugger

Thank you,

David