[PyQt] Animated Progress Bars in QTableView - how?

Dave Gradwell davegradwell at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 00:05:23 BST 2014

Hello,

Now I'm on PyQt5, setIndexWidget works properly and the (animated) progress bars move in concert with the rest of the scroll-view and table-view.

(The c++ Qt example (the Torrent application) which uses a styledItemDelegate does not animate the progress bars - so I am leaning towards persevering with progress bar widgets shoehorned into cells.)

When I initialise my application, after I have set up a tableView, I call:
""""""""""""""""
    self.tableView.setItemDelegate(progressBarDelegate(self))
""""""""""""""""

progressBarDelegate looks like this:
""""""""""""""""
class progressBarDelegate(QtWidgets.QItemDelegate):
    def __init__(self, parent=None, *args, **kwargs):
        super(progressBarDelegate, self).__init__(parent=None, *args, **kwargs)
        self.parent = parent

    def paint(self, painter, option, index):
        if index.column() == 1:

            thisCellsWidget = self.parent.tableView.indexWidget(index)

            if thisCellsWidget == None:
                thisCellsWidget = QtWidgets.QProgressBar()
                self.parent.tableView.setIndexWidget(index, thisCellsWidget)

""""""""""""""""

Having 'installed' the progress bars into the 'cells', I am struggling to see how to subsequently address them (to update their values).
It is tempting to update them in the paint event itself while I already have a handle on them - but this transpired to cause a recursive repaint, with the error message:
QWidget::repaint: Recursive repaint detected
(It's understandable I guess; adjusting its value would of course require a repaint.)

Then I thought that perhaps I could update them directly when data() is called on the model.  I tried to get a handle on them with:
    thisCellsWidget = self.parent.tableView.indexWidget(index)
'parent' is passed to the model when I create it, so the model can access properties of the app, such as the tableView.  I can confirm that the tableView here is the same tableView into which the progress bars were 'set'.

But, for some reason, this always returns me 'None'.

So how can I address these 'indexWidgets'?

Thanks,

Dave.