[PyQt] How to compile with PyQt5?

Kovid Goyal kovid at kovidgoyal.net
Sun Aug 3 09:34:36 BST 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 08:39:12AM +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 03/08/2014 7:20 am, Kovid Goyal wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 01:38:52AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >>For Debian/Ubuntu they are in /usr/share/sip/PyQt5.  That's based on the
> >>default py_sip_dir in Python/configure.py.
> >>
> >>We made the decision only to package PyQt5 and PyQt5.QSci for Python3
> >>(it
> >>simplifies the packaging work and we made the assumption that any new
> >>code
> >>being ported to Qt5 would also be ported to Python3.  Is that going to
> >>be a
> >>problem?
> >
> >calibre 2.x will be using python2 and PyQt5. I suggest building PyQt5 for
> >both.
>
> I assume you aren't relying on any Windows installers.

No, I dont rely on any pre-installed libraries on any platforms. calibre
bundles private copies of all its dependencies on all platforms. This
discussion is only relevant for people building calibre from source on
linux, or distro packagers.

> >Either use the directory scheme Arch does, or hopefully Phil can give us
> >some official guidance on how to have PyQt5 for both python 2 and 3 on
> >the same system.
>
> I don't understand the problem. The PyQt5 .sip files are the same for Python
> 2 and 3.

Is that guaranteed to always be the case, forever?

Kovid.

--

Dr. Kovid Goyal
http://www.kovidgoyal.net