[PyQt] How to compile with PyQt5?

Kovid Goyal kovid at kovidgoyal.net
Mon Aug 4 07:06:58 BST 2014

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 07:38:05AM +0200, Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data lunedì 04 agosto 2014 10:13:08, Kovid Goyal ha scritto:
>
> > be identical for py2 vs py3, then I suppose distro packagers should just
> > be using /usr/share/sip/PyQt5 and having one package overwrite the files
> > for the other, seems a bit messy, but...
>
> What's being done, at least in openSUSE, is having a single package with SIP
> files that can be installed alongside with the Python 2 or Python 3 versions
> (or both at the same time). I think other distributions follow a similar
> approach.

As per a post earlier in this thread, Debian currently does not package
PyQt5 for python 2 at all. Arch places the SIP files in different
directories (Py2-PyQt5 and PyQt5)

Certainly, I think having a separate package for the SIP files makes
sense, since they are (at least currently) python version independent.

I any case, my original point was simply that writing this information
into PYQT_CONFIGURATION at install time makes it robust for all PyQt
extension writers, regardless of what any individual linux distribution
might choose to do.

Kovid.

--

Dr. Kovid Goyal