[PyQt] building SIP on Windows PC

Donald E Limbaugh delimbaugh21 at students.tntech.edu
Mon Dec 22 19:01:05 GMT 2014

OK.  Thanks!!

From: Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 12:55 PM
To: Donald E Limbaugh
Cc: pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com
Subject: Re: [PyQt] building SIP on Windows PC

(note: please reply to the list as well, so other people can
participate in the discussion as well)

* Donald E Limbaugh <delimbaugh21 at students.tntech.edu> [2014-12-22 18:28:38 +0000]:
> Thanks, Florian.  I tried nmake, but it didn't work either...
>
> >... is there a reason you're building PyQt yourself instead
> of using the binary installer?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean?  The site riverbankcomputing.com said "Before you can build PyQt4 you must have already built & installed SIP".  I see the binary packages listed at the bottom of the page, but I thought I needed SIP installed as well.  I guess the website is confusing.  Are you saying all I need is the binary package for my version of Windows"

Indeed - you can either build sip and PyQt yourself, or use the binary
installer.

>From http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/download5 :

"These binary installers for Windows contain everything needed for
PyQt5 development except for Python itself."

> I started down this road on my MacBook, so the only thing available was the source package for OS X.  I am switching to Windows since that's where my FPGA stuff resides anyway...

On OS X the easiest way would probably be to use Homebrew[1] or
MacPorts[2] but I haven't tried that yet.

[1] http://brew.sh/
[2] https://www.macports.org/

Florian