[PyQt] Encore: PyQt5 dependency on libQtXXX.dylib

Colin McPhail colin.mcphail at mac.com
Mon Feb 3 20:13:25 GMT 2014

On 2014-02-03, David Cortesi <davecortesi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll ask again, briefly: Mac OS 10.9.1, PyQt 5.2, Qt 5.2. The
> cx_freeze app bundler thinks the various QtXXX.so modules have
> dependencies on libQtXXX.dylib, but no such files exist in the system.
> Thanks for your attention,
> Dave Cortesi

I think the problem may be that the build process for PyQt5 first builds
libQtXXX.dylib and then copies it to QtXXX.so.  This leaves QtXXX.so
with an 'install name' of libQtXXX.dylib, which might be causing
the problem.

As an experiment it might be worth using the

    install_name_tool -id ...

command to change the install name of QtXXX.so to QtXXX.so (which is
what it would have been if QtXXX.so had been created directly, not by
copying).

Caveat: I’m not an expert on Mac OS X dynamic libraries.

Regards,
-- Colin McPhail