[PyQt] [Eric] Eric4 issue with splitted views

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Mar 27 20:53:46 GMT 2014

On Donnerstag, 27. März 2014 16:13:40 Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 27-03-2014 3:54 pm, Rohan Garg wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >> Rohan, I bet, adding a similar sequence to apport early in the
> >> execution
> >> path will fix it as well.
> >
> > Whipped up a quick patch for apport-kde and indeed, setting
> > sip.setdestroyonexit to False makes the crash go away ( however seems
> > to cause a weird side-effect in apport-core ) .

Could you be a little more specific about that side effect?

> > @Phil do you have a better suggestion to fix this crash?
>
> Sorry - not been following the discussion.
>
> The other solution is to explicitly del the various objects in the
> right order after the event loop terminates - but I don't think that's a
> "better" solution.

I would put that in the "daunting tasks" box. Nobody likes this approach.

Better locate the ill behaving object, and check its destructor, as well as
its ancestor d'tors. I guess, some object relies on being finalized properly.

Maybe some Qt C++ d'tors are playing games here.

> Maybe it is time to make this default behaviour for PyQt4 (as it is for
> PyQt5)?

I think, that's too dangerous (at least for now).

Pete