[PyQt] pyqtdeploy docs say static python default on OSX, but can't find

bootch at nc.rr.com bootch at nc.rr.com
Fri May 9 21:59:31 BST 2014

The pyqtdeploy tutorial says 'Note that a static, native build of Python is the default on these platforms.' (meaning OSX and Linux)  Does this mean that if you use the Python installer to OSX (a .dmg) that the static library should exist?  If so, I couldn't find it.  I was looking for a libPython3.a file, but only found /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/libpython3.4m.dylib which actually is a link to ...3.4/Python, and which I assume is a dynamic library.  I question the documentation.

When I pointed Locations>Target Python Locations>Python library to 3.4/Python, pyqtdeploy complained that there was no version number in the string.  After making a copy renamed Python3 and pointing pyqtdeploy to it, the build failed to find -lPython3.  This as an example of the flailing that users may do, self flagellating wankers that we are.

The tutorial seems to use OSX, and does seem to use a user-built statically built Python, so I will build a static version myself.

I suppose that command line version of Python is not the same as the Python library (linked as a library into a c program?)