[PyQt] Supplying PyQt5 via PyPI

Marcus Ottosson konstruktion at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 18:08:24 BST 2014

Hi Nenad and Florian,

The thought did occur to me about providing more versions via PyPI, but I
can only imagine, and as mentioned by Phil, the amount of work involved in
actually getting something like that off the ground.

Having said that, as there seems to be some interest, I see no reason why
we couldn’t make it a team effort. I’ll be working on GitHub and getting
PyPI builds up via Travis, as that is how I’m working currently.

I’ll give a shout once I’ve gotten started and maybe we could start talking
about ways to go at it from there?

For reference, this <https://github.com/abstractfactory/pyblish> is the
project the I’m working with.

You could install one of the Windows installers and see what gets installed
in site-packages\PyQt5.

Thanks Phil, I’ll have a look at that. Out of interest, how did *you*
figure this out?

Best,
Marcus
​

On 17 September 2014 17:16, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
wrote:

> On 17/09/2014 2:31 pm, Florian Bruhin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> * Marcus Ottosson <konstruktion at gmail.com> [2014-09-17 12:33:03 +0200]:
>>
>>> Would there be an issue with me providing compiled versions for PyQt5 on
>>> PyPI for use in my own projects?
>>>

>> I'm sure I (and others) would be glad to use them as well.
>>
>> Though I wonder what the reason this isn't done officially is?
>>

> The amount of work involved and the (possibly mistaken) perception that
> everybody would want something slightly different.
>
> That said if somebody were willing to put the work in to set it up in the
> first place then I would consider taking it over.
>
> Phil

*Marcus Ottosson*
konstruktion at gmail.com