[PyQt] Exceptions in Python Implementations of Virtuals

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:24:44 BST 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
wrote:

> On 30/09/2014 9:25 pm, Chris Colbert wrote:
>
>> I don't think anyone in this thread has advocated silently ignoring
>> errors.
>>

> Anybody who is advocating maintaining the current behaviour as the default
> is doing exactly that.

How so? We still have sys.excepthook, and can redirect stdout and stderr to
a log file, email it to an app maintainer, show it in a debug panel in the
app, etc... All these things work and are in-use today.

I also don't know how to make myself any more clear. Not once have I
suggested that the current behavior should remain the default. I've only
maintained that hard aborting the app is the wrong choice. And once again
I'll refer to my first post:

"""
It would be nice to have an easier way than except hooks to be able to
detect and handle these cases, and I think exploring options in that space
is worthy of discussion. But I think qFatal is certainly the wrong approach
here.
"""