[PyQt] Segfault running pyqt5+python3

Erik Hvatum ice.rikh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:28:10 BST 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Valerio Baldisserotto <svalo at libersoft.it>
wrote:

> Hello everybody, I wrote a python3+ pyqt5 software that uses Dbus to
> communicate to another process, I use dbus trough pyqt's bindings.
> Everything is working fine but when I close the application both with a
> close button in-app or by closing the windows I get a message from
> Lubuntu telling my application segfaulted
> Here [1] there's the gdb output. I'm pretty sure the cause is dbus
> because if I run the same software commenting-out the code involving it
> the application works perfectly and I don't get any message nor warning
> from gdb.
>
> When I launch the application I get a "QDBusConnection: Session dbus
> connection created before Qcoreapplication, application may
> mishbehave".  I read somewhere it's an harmless message but maybe it's
> usefull
>
> Software version:
> O.S. Lubuntu 14.04 inside VirtualBox
>
> python3-pyqt5 5.2.1+dfsg-1ubuntu1
> python3 3.4.0-ubuntu2
> dbus 1.6.18.0-ubuntu4.3
>
> Do you think it's a problem with dbus , qt5or with pyqt5 bindings?
> How can I help?
>
> Same problem happens sometimes also on linuxmint ubuntu based but I
> don't have the chanche to test it
>

> Thank you
> sValo
>
> [1] http://pastebin.com/kLVtRGrx

Toward the beginning of your output, there is the line:

"QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication.
Application may misbehave."

Everything thereafter is in undefined behavior territory.  All bets are
off, no guarantees are valid, and you should instantiate a QApplication
before making a QDBusConnection ;)  If the problem remains in that case, it
will probably be easier to replicate and fix.

Cheers,
Erik