[PyQt] Providing .qm files with the exe

Jebagnana Das jebagnanadas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 02:51:03 BST 2015

Dear Team,

We are writing a PyQt application with multi language support.

*Option 1:*

We are thinking about providing the language (.qm) files separately
probably within the installation folder of our application exe due to the
following reasons

1. If any new feature is added we can release it right away without waiting
for the translated strings in 20+ languages. Later when the translation
file arrives the agent can pull the latest file from the server when it
communicates

2. If any changes or corrections are made in the existing translations it
can also be instantly applied with the above technique.

But the qm files can be editable and the user can play around with it and
can replace the original translation with some offensive language with the
intent of damaging the reputation of the product.

*Option 2:*

I read about another option of converting them as a QtResource file and
derive a python resource file out of it which will be bundled within the
exe itself. The cons of this approach are

1. We will be forced to hold the release until all the translated files
arrive from different translators

2. If any alterations are made in the existing translations, we need to
update or provide auto-upgrade for the existing exe to reflect the changes
which will consume more server and agent bandwidth(in MBs) as opposed to
updating only the translation files(few KBs) and exe upgrdation is
cumbersome and costlier when we weigh it with all the inherent complexities
involved.

Any solution for resolving this use-case would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeba