[PyQt] PySide 2

Marcus Ottosson konstruktion at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 07:23:26 BST 2015

> From what I've seen, the plan is to fund a one-off effort to do a new
release
then turn it over to the community to support. I don't know if that will
make
it a sustainable project.

This has been my impression as well.

> I'm genuinely interested to know what you mean by "community-driven", or
what
you would want to see in such a project.

To me, a community-driven project means it is developed by a community in
the open, such as on GitHub, as opposed to behind the curtains. It means it
has a higher bus-factor, which at the moment is 1.

On 16 August 2015 at 21:03, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun Aug 16 14:30:18 BST 2015, Marcus Ottosson wrote:
>
> > I can see why you might ask that, I was sceptical at first too. But
> there's
> > an initiative beyond Qt [1] behind this effort, and with it I think a new
> > audience will appear in favour of advancing the state of PySide. I think
> > this same audience would apply equally well to PyQt, if PyQt were to be
> > community-driven.
>
> There were initiatives to revive PySide before the visual effects industry
> started to take an interest in it. I suppose enough resources might be
> thrown at it this time to make a difference, though I don't see much of a
> role for the community in driving PySide development at the moment.
>
> From what I've seen, the plan is to fund a one-off effort to do a new
> release
> then turn it over to the community to support. I don't know if that will
> make
> it a sustainable project.
>
> I'm genuinely interested to know what you mean by "community-driven", or
> what
> you would want to see in such a project.
>
> David

*Marcus Ottosson*
konstruktion at gmail.com