[PyQt] Plans for PyQt with respect to Qt 5.6

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Dec 18 19:03:46 GMT 2015

* Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> [2015-12-18 18:39:30 +0000]:
> On 18 Dec 2015, at 6:26 pm, Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > I would like to know about your plans with respect to Qt 5.6. I am specially worried about the fact, that they dropped QtWebKit from the sources (see the Qt 5.6 Beta announcement). Does this mean, that PyQt5 will not support QtWebKit anymore? That would kill eric's help viewer/web browser.
>
> PyQt5 v5.6 will support QtWebKit when built against Qt v5.5 and earlier.

What if it's built against Qt 5.6, with QtWebKit installed from the
repository? That's the way Qt still supports so far, and as far as I
know, they ensure it still compiles.

I'm guessing that's what distributions will do (at least I confirmed
Archlinux will), so it'd be sad if they had to drop PyQt5.QtWebKit.

Florian