[PyQt] include "icudt53.dll, icuin53.dll, icuuc53.dll" ?

michael h michaelkenth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:26:45 GMT 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
wrote:

> On 07/01/2015 1:09 pm, Timothy W. Grove wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have an idea of what the following .dll's are for?
>> Cx_freeze includes them in a Python3.4-PyQt5 deployment adding about
>> 23 Mb to my application. Removing them doesn't appear to make any
>> difference on my computer, but I hesitate to distribute the
>> application to others without them. Thanks for any response.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tim Grove
>>
>> icudt53.dll
>> icuin53.dll
>> icuuc53.dll
>>

> They are ICU Unicode libraries. They are needed if Qt has been configured
> with the -icu option (the PyQt5 Windows binary installer does this) or if
> WebKit is used.
>
> You can build your own version of Qt without using -icu.
>
> Phil

You can also build a minimal version of it with a drastically reduced file
size if you want to avoid recompiling Qt now and in the future. This post
has some details.

http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/38489

However, I'd probably make sure to build it using the appropriate version
of MSVC (depending on which version of python you are targeting), rather
than using the posted mingw version.

mh