[PyQt] PyQt5, QGraphicsObject, Selection Indicator, and Multiple Inheritance

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 03:39:53 GMT 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Erik Hvatum <ice.rikh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried your code in this form:
>
>  from PyQt5 import Qt
> class PartFrame2dItem(Qt.QGraphicsObject, Qt.QGraphicsRectItem):    def __init__(self):        Qt.QGraphicsObject.__init__(self)        Qt.QGraphicsRectItem.__init__(self)        # A child rectangle item        #self._rect_item = QGraphicsRectItem(self)        #self._rect_item.setZValue(-1)        self.setZValue(-1)        #self._rect_item.setBrush(QBrush(QColor(235,235,235)))        self.setBrush(Qt.QBrush(Qt.QColor(235,235,235)))
> if __name__ == '__main__':    import sys    app = Qt.QApplication(sys.argv)    gs = Qt.QGraphicsScene()    gv = Qt.QGraphicsView(gs)    gv.show()    part_frame_2d_item = PartFrame2dItem()    gs.addItem(part_frame_2d_item)    app.exec()
>

> Result:
> > DISPLAY=:0 dpython listdev.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "listdev.py", line 20, in <module>
>     part_frame_2d_item = PartFrame2dItem()
>   File "listdev.py", line 12, in __init__
>     self.setBrush(Qt.QBrush(Qt.QColor(235,235,235)))
> TypeError: could not convert 'PartFrame2dItem' to
> 'QAbstractGraphicsShapeItem'
>
> I wonder why you didn't see an error.  I see the same exception with
> various PyQt5 versions on Linux, Windows, and OS X.  Are you using PyQt4?
> If so, that might account for it.

I am not sure why the main program causes my interpreter to crash but I can
make a test case similar to yours and now I see the same problem.
Interesting, this TypeError makes me think that I didn't initialize the
object properly.

> Anyway, you might consider inheriting Qt.QObject rather than
> Qt.QGraphicsObject if you like the multiple inheritance approach.

Good idea! I tried that and I still get a similar TypeError, only now it is
earlier in the self.setZValue() call, and the message says "could not
convert PartFrame2dItem to QGraphicsItem."
So at least now I can see what the exception is - that is helpful. But I
don't understand why I am getting this TypeError.

> Alternatively, the underlying C++ code may be useful as a reference if you
> decide to implement your own QGraphicsItemRect that inherits from only
> Qt.QGraphicsObject:
> https://github.com/qtproject/qt/blob/4.8/src/gui/graphicsview/qgraphicsitem.cpp
> starting at line 8461, with selection highlight code starting line 7592.
> There's not much to it :)

Thanks! Yes, I was thinking of delving into the source and seeing what i
can cannabilize from here. But if I can get multiple inheritance from
QObject and QGraphicsRectItem working, that would make my life a lot easier.