[PyQt] Using distutils / setuptools for SIP extensions?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sat May 9 11:35:48 BST 2015

>> On 08/05/2015 11:11 pm, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm considering using SIP for an upcoming project.
>>>
>>> The docs at [1] says that
>>>
>>> "Note This should not be used for new projects as it will not be
>>> supported
>>> by SIP v5."
>>>
>>> If I want to use regular setuptools to build my extension (instead of the
>>> configure.py which I've seen used in SIP project), then what am I to do
>>> once SIP v5 is the new kid on the block?
>>>

>> I'm not sure exactly how this will be handled in SIP v5 but you can
>> expect that there will be some help. The main change that should help is
>> that the sip code generator will be accessible as a Python package so you
>> will be able to import it into your setup.py.
>

> Music to my ears. Thanks Phil!

As a side note, I realized now that I will never quite reach the simplicity
of just `pip install myext`: Since the setup.py itself will be dependant on
SIP, I'll have a chicken-and-egg problem, and it will have to be `pip
install SIP` and then `pip install myext`. But that's fine, and I have the
same "problem" now actually, since I'm using pyqt-distutils to invoke
pyuic4 at setup time, which requires to user to first install
pyqt-distutils, then setup.py. I'm fine with that.

Elvis