[PyQt] Installing multiple versions of PyQt

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat May 23 11:58:01 BST 2015

Hi,

it is like shown below.

1. Compile and install Qt. That creates an installation directory (e.g.
/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.x.y or /usr/local/Qt-5.x.y).
2. Compile the QScintilla C++ part for each Qt installation
3. Have a virtualenv for the relevant Python/Qt combination (note PyQt4 and PyQt5 can be
installed in parallel).
4. Compile PyQt with something like

export PATH=/usr/local/Qt-5.4/bin:~/py3qt50env/bin:$PATH

~/py3qt50env/bin/python configure.py -b ~/py3qt50env/bin/ -v ~/py3qt50env/pyqt5sip -c -j8  --
confirm-license
(all on one line)

Detlev

On Friday 22 May 2015, 09:07:44 Florian Bruhin wrote:
> * Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> [2015-05-20 19:31:12 +0200]:

> > > Never tried what I'm talking about but if you just install qt4 and qt5
> > > systemwide and have different virtualenvs for pyqt4 (its own sip) and
> > > pyqt5
> > > (its own sip) it should not be a PITA.
> >
> > That is exactly the kind of setup I am using to test eric (my Python IDE)
> > with various (but not all) combinations of Qt, PyQt and Python. I needed
> > it because eric is compatible with Python2 and 3 and PyQt4/Qt4, PyQt4/Qt5
> > and PyQt5/Qt5.
>
> Nice! Could you elaborate a bit on how you set this up? Is it
> essentially something like this?
>
> - Compile multiple versions of Qt with -developer-build.
> - Compile PyQt for each with --qmake=/path/to/qt/bin/qmake
> - Symlink the libraries in a virtualenv each (or adjust PYTHONPATH
>   accordingly)
>
> Florian--
*Detlev Offenbach*
detlev at die-offenbachs.de